Morning Show Podcasts
February 4, 2020 A midwinter daydream – Sailing Adventures
Join Tuesday Morning Show hosts Phil Hough and Julie Kallemeyn for a delightful departure from the winter doldrums. Ben Olson, editor of the Sandpoint Reader, wears many hats. One of them is as an adventurer and sailor. Spend the next hour with us learning about Ben's experiences crossing the Atlantic and island-hopping in the Caribbean onboard a catamaran sailboat.
Wednesday, January 29, 2020: 15th Anniversary of Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness
January 28, 2020 A sampling of Sandpoint’s indoor recreation offerings
Join Tuesday KRFY Morning Show hosts Julie Kallemeyn and Phil Hough to learn about some indoor recreational activities in the Sandpoint area. Guests Jason Wiley from Sandpoint Parks and Recreation, Tammy Campbell from Litehouse YMCA, and Jim Hagler from Panhandle Pickleball Club share some of the many indoor recreational opportunities available when the the weather is less than ideal.
Wednesday, January 22: Lake Pend Oreille School District
Thursday, January 16, 2020: East Bonner County Library
Wednesday, January 15: No. Idaho Women’s March
January 14, 2020 The Mythweaver of Idaho, preserving Native American voices
Join KRFY Tuesday Morning Show hosts Phil Hough and Julie Kallemeyn to learn about the Mythweaver of Idaho. Jane Fritz, Media Director and founding member talks about some of the high points over their 30 year history. Be sure to listen to the audio clip from of elder Cliff Allen sharing a moving creation story with Jane.
Jan 9, 2020: Dr. Foster Cline
Wed., January 8, 2020: Bonner Daily Bee and Sandpoint Reader – A look back and a look ahead.
January 7, 2020 Idaho Conservation League, Rock Creek Alliance and Idaho Master Naturalists panhandle chapter. KFRY’s three newest Underwriters
Join KRFY Tuesday Morning Show hosts Phil Hough and Julie Kallemeyn to learn more about our three newest underwriters. The Idaho Conservation League with North Idaho Director Brad Smith, The Rock Creek alliance with former board member Jean Gerth, and the Idaho Master Naturalists Panhandle chapter with Mary Haley, President, and Clem Yonkers Vice President.
New! An interim show while the KRFY studio is closed for COVID-19 precautions, Community Conversations airs with pre-recorded interviews each Tuesday and Thursday at 8 a.m.
- July 9, 2020: Behind the scenes at KRFY, with broadcasters Jackie Henrion and John and JoAnn Rohyans. Click to listen.
- July 7, 2020: Panhandle Forest Collaborative, with Ben Irey of the National Forest Foundation and Liz Johnson-Gebhardt, Priest Community Forest Connection. Click to listen.
- July 2, 2020: Downtown since COVID-19, with Deanna Harris of Sharon’s Hallmark; Justin Dick of Trinity at City Beach and Jalapeño’s Mexican Restaurant; Lindsey Larson of Larson’s Department Store; Shery Meekings of Creations and Carousel on the Cedar Street Bridge; and Claire Christy of POAC. Click to listen.
- June 29, 2020: Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper, with Steve Holt and Travis Dickson. Click to listen.
- June 25, 2020: Ospreys and raptors with Janie Veltkamp of Birds of Prey Northwest. Click to listen.
- June 23, 2020: Trail talk with Tom Dabrowski of Idaho Trails Association plus Britta Mireley and Autumn Lear of Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness. Click to listen.
- June 16, 2020: Summer camps, with Cami Murray of Kaniksu Land Trust and Tim Corcoran of Twin Eagles Wilderness School. Click to listen.
- June 11, 2020: Panhandle Animal Shelter with Mandy Evans. Click to listen.
- June 9, 2020: Upper Pack River Market with Barbara Nunke; and Gear Talk with Liz Thomas and Naomi Hudetz. Click to listen.
- June 4, 2020: Primary election results, with Bonner County chief election officer Michael Rosedale; Sandpoint Reader editor Zach Hagadone; and Bonner County Daily Bee publisher Bill Davis. Click to listen.
- June 2, 2020: Hiking and biking trails, with Herbert Klein of Monday Hikers; and bicyclists Mel Dick of CHAFE 150, Charles Mortensen of 3/4 Minus Cycletur; and Jason Welker, Pend Oreille Pedalers. Click to listen.
- May 26, 2020: Open for Business segment with Charles Mortensen of Syringa Cyclery; Round Lake State Park Manager Mary McGraw and Ranger Bart Gutke. Click to listen.
- May 21: City matters, with Sandpoint Mayor Shelby Rognstad and City Administrator Jennifer Stapleton. Click to listen.
- May 19: Open for Business segments with Diane Green of Greentree Naturals, Kathy Osborne of Co-op Country Store. Click to listen.
- May 14: State Representative District 7 primary candidates, Republican, Cornel Rasor and Charlie Shepherd. Click to listen.
- May 12: ‘Open for Business‘ talk with Sandpoint Chamber President Kate McAlister; International Selkirk Loop director Stephanie Sims. Click to listen.
- May 7: State Representative District 1 primary candidates, Republican, incumbent Sage Dixon and challenger Gary Suppiger. Click to listen.
- May 5: Mental Health Awareness Month, with Amanda Thomas of Integrative Approach; Joy Jansen, Lake Pend Oreille School District; Dion Heller, Bonner County Youth Mental Health Collaborative. Click to listen.
- April 30: Bonner County Commissioner primary candidates, Republican, incumbent Steven Bradshaw and challenger Butch Horton. Click to listen.
- April 28, 2020: Growing season with Dennis Moore of The Flower Farm and Kellie Burt from the Sandpoint Farmers Market. Click to listen.
- April 23, 2020: Economic impacts of COVID-19. Kate McAlister of the Sandpoint Chamber; Andrea Marcoccio of Bonner County EDC; Brad Williams of WSS CPAs; Aaron McMurray, Innovia Foundation. Click to listen.
- April 21, 2020: Recreation options in the age of COVID. Katie Egland Cox of Kaniksu Land Trust; Jeff Thompson of North Idaho Trails Coalition; Jennifer Stapleton, City of Sandpoint. Click to listen.
- April 16, 2020: Dr. Hans Hurt of Bonner General Health; Bonner County Clerk Michael Rosedale and Elections Supervisor Charlie Wurm. Click to listen.
- April 14, 2020: Kiira Siitari of Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Click to listen
On Living and Dying Well: Series presented by Lissa DeFreitas from Bonner Community Hospice.
- Part 1 of 4: Hospice 1
- Part 2 of 4: Hospice 2
- Part 2 Addendum
- Part 3 of 4: Hospice 3
- Part 4 of 4: Hospice 4
Special event podcasts: KRFY broadcasters occasionally get out into the community for remote live broadcasts at events, for which we provide the reported podcasts here.
- October 23, 2018: Candidate’s forum for November 2018 General Election»
- May 8, 2018: Candidate’s forum for May 2018 Primary Election»
- Oct 30, 2017: Candidates’ forum for Sandpoint City Council»
Water Is Life: A four-part series dedicated to “water”. Listen and explore the many aspects of “water” featuring interview with experts in science, health, and environment – locally and globally.
- August 29, 2018: Week 1 – WATER IS LIFE
- September 5, 2018: Week 2 – WATER IS LIFE
- September 12, 2018: Week 3 – Water Use
- September 19, 2018: Week 4 – WATER IS LIFE
Between the Notes: In this series, host Suzy Prez dives into the lives and minds of musicians, featuring live interviews and original music with songwriters and singers locally, and from across the country.
- Sept 26, 2017: Local singer-songwriter Devon Wade»
- Sept 1, 2017: Honeysuckle»
- Mar 17, 2017: Local singer-songwriter Mike Wagoner»
- Mar 7, 2017: Portland’s Anna Tivel with Josh Hedland»
- Jan 17, 2017: ‘Paranormal Daves,’ aka Dave Hussey and Dave Gunter»
- Nov 30, 2016: Psychedelic surf doom, The Moods»
- Oct 6, 2015: Local musicians Baregrass»
- June 26, 2015: Singer-storyteller John Craigie»
- June 24, 2015: Local duo Owen & McCoy»
- May 19, 2015: Local duo Rough Shod»
- May 13, 2015: Holly McGarry and Honeysuckle»
- May 5, 2015: Singer and songwriter Justin Landis»
- Apr 28, 2015: Singer and songwriter Patrice Webb»
- Apr 21, 2015: Singer and songwriter Justin Lantrip»
- Apr 14, 2015: Tammy & Dave Gunter, Bridges Home»
- Apr 7, 2015: Singer, songwriter, poet Jackie Henrion»
KRFY’s Live & Local: Airing Tuesdays 7-8 p.m., host Suzy Prez explores the North Idaho music scene in open mic style, with interviews and live songs from local and visiting musicians.
- Nov. 1, 2016: Local singer-songwriters Kevin Dorin and Pete Hicks»
- Oct. 11, 2016: Touring Portland singer-songwriter Jeffrey Martin»
- Sept. 23, 2016: Luminescent local singer-songwriter Holly McGarry»
- Aug. 29, 2016: Singer-songwriter Tara Velarde»
- May 13, 2016: Frequent visiting musician, writer and storyteller John Cragie»
- March 28, 2016: Missoula’s musical duo Nate Vernon and Bethany Joyce of Ovando»
- March 28, 2016: Local singer-songwrier Jake Robin»
- March 22, 2016: Local singer-songwriter Emily Baker»
- March 8, 2016: Local singer-songwriters Rob Kincaid & Amy Craven»
- March 1, 2016: Local guitarists and songwriters Dave Hussey & Bruce Bishop»
- Feb. 23, 2016: Local singer-songwriter Patrice Webb»
- Feb. 16, 2016: Local musicians Kevin Dorin and Pete Hicks»
- Feb. 9, 2016: Songwriter, and singer since the 1960s, Ken Mayginnes»
- Feb. 2, 2016: Local duo Roughshod, Desiree Aguirre and Fiddlin’ Red»
- Jan. 26, 2016: Music, talk with Beth Pederson and Betsy Hammett»
- Jan. 19, 2016: From The Groove Black, local musician Brandon Waterson»
- Jan. 12, 2016: Locals Ben Olson, Cadie Archer and Vance Bergeson»
- Jan. 5, 2016: Singer-songwriters Josh Hedund and Justin Landis»
KRFY Interviews: Our broadcasters often welcome community figures, musicians, artists and guests into the station for live interviews. We post the podcasts for listeners to hear at their convenience. Click to listen:
- Dec. 18, 2015: Lil’ Smokies, banjo-fired newgrass»
- Nov. 27, 2015: Laurie and Katelyn, aka Shook Twins»
- Nov. 20, 2015: Musicians for Reader Fundraiser Show»
- Nov 16, 2015: Gary Payton, Jean Gerth, on climate summit and citizen response to global warming»
- Sept 11, 2015: Patricia White, Ron Ragone, Panida»
- July 29, 2015: American Lab Theater, int’l players»
- July 8, 2015: Red Hot Patriot, star & director»
- Mar 24, 2015: Josh Hedlund & Friends, singers»
- Feb 24, 2015: Justin Landis, of Cedar & Boyer»
- Feb 24, 2015: Loren Albright, Don Childress of TU»
- Jan 9, 2015: Bruce Bishop, local instrumentalist»
- Nov 21, 2014: Jeff Crosby, visiting singer-songwriter»
- July 15, 2014: Robin King, Yaak Valley Forest Council»
- May 14, 2014: Anish Anderson, audacious hiker»
- May 6, 2014: Sandy Compton, Friends of Scotchman»
- Mar 14, 2014: Ruth Klinginsmith, Music Conservatory»
Thinking Outside the Box: Sandpoint’s Ken Casler produces this original show airing Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ken and guests explore topics on holistic living, healing and health, with discussions that “go beyond the norm and into the unknown.” Click to visit his website, or click to hear podcasts:
- May 5, 2014: Leslie Villelli’s Daily Dose of Happiness»
- April 14, 2014: Alan Berger of Neighborgoods.net»
- April 7, 2014: Inside the process with Ken Casler»
- Mar 17, 2014: Dr. Frederic Wiedemann of Flash Shift»
- Mar 10, 2014: Alan Berger of Neighborgoods.net»
- Feb 16, 2014: Leslie Villelli of the Happiness Project»
- Feb 11, 2014: Ali Hakala on culinary gardening»
- Jan 27, 2014: Dawnya Clarine, transformative music»
- Jan 20, 2014: Sarah Rusnak on Forrest Yoga»